Saturday, 4 January 2014

Chartership, the changes. Part 5: The PKSB

This is one of a series of posts in which I get to grips with the new requirements for CILIP Chartership.  Previous posts looked at  the new assessment criteria, changes to portfolio contents, the new submission process and the relationship between the different levels of professional registration.

I had the pleasure of presenting with Jo Alcock last year on the new Professional Knowledge and Skills Base (PKSB) and how the 23 Things for Professional Development linked in with it, but at that point it wasn't yet clear how it would work with professional registration.



We now know that candidates will need to use the PKSB as the basis of a skills gap analysis, using this (instead of a personal professional development plan) to identify areas for development and steps to take towards addressing these gaps.  A second gap analysis will need to be conducted near the end of the process to indicate how candidates will continue to develop post-Chartership, and the intention is that the PKSB can be used on an ongoing basis whether or not they're working towards a qualification.

I've started working through the PKSB to see how it all works.  Chartership candidates can download a spreadsheet to help with this process, breaking each section (e.g. Organising Knowledge and Information) into more specific areas (e.g. Classification schemes and taxonomies).  The candidate can then give an indication of their current level of knowledge of this area (None / Basic / Good / Comprehensive / Advanced) and their target for that area.


This is a great way to do it, because different roles within the library and information sector will require different levels of ability.  In my current role, for example, I need to know a certain amount about a lot of things including acquisitions, cataloguing, user education and management of library space, whereas other librarians I know would be experts in their areas (e.g. cataloguing) but would never have to actually order a book.

It's quite tricky to decide what number to put in the box - I might think my knowledge of a particular area is good, but then if I compare myself with others I know I have so much more to learn.  I'm not too worried about this though, I think it's meant as a tool for personal reflection and the main thing is to identify areas for improvement and ways to achieve this.

The other issue with the PKSB is the fact that it's so broad and it's likely that I'll have far more areas that I'd like to develop than I can possibly do in the course of Chartership, some of which I'll need to learn fast while others I'd like to build up over time.  For that reason, I've decided to add an extra column to my spreadsheet so I can assign a priority to each of the elements I need to work on.

This is my last post (at least for now) on the differences between the old and new regulations for CILIP Chartership.  I've had great feedback on the usefulness of these posts - thanks everyone!  I must emphasise that I'm just a candidate myself - if you're reading this because you're not sure of something check with the CILIP team, use the forum on the VLE or pull me up on the things I've got wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment