Monday, 9 August 2010

This is the end...

... of the main 23 Things Programme, although we're still working through the medical one.  There were times when I thought I was crazy to be trying to do both, thinking we'd never get to the end, but now it seems to have flown by.

Looking back at the half-way mark, I still agree with what I said then.  The most valuable part of the programme actually had nothing to do with the tools - it was the community spirit that came out if it, and now also opportunities such as my involvement in the first Cambridge Librarian TeachMeet, (27th September, St John's College).  I think it's been valuable personally for raising my profile and helping me to dive into the Cambridge library world.

In terms of things, I'll build on my previous list:
Tools that I am likely to keep using:

  1. This blog: I've never kept a blog before, but am finding it a very useful tool for reflecting on events attended and have now set up a private blog for tracking my thoughts on articles for my masters as well.
  2. RSS feeds: I was already a convert for this one and love scanning headlines for interesting articles/posts rather than visiting the websites themselves.
  3. Doodle: We've used this already to plan a discussion on Defining our professional future and are now using it to discuss organising a TeachMeet in Cambridge.
  4. Google Calendar: Another one that I use personally, but I can see that it could be very useful in a library context.
  5. Twitter: A new convert, I'm finding this really useful for keeping up with what's happening and especially for networking.
  6. Flickr: with a very big pinch of salt
  7. Delicious: Although when will I ever have time to go through my "to read" pile?
  8. Youtube and podcasting: I'll have to think some more about how to approach this in real life though.
  9. Social networking sites: Facebook (in library context, but not as a librarian, if you get what I mean), but also LinkedIn, LISNPN and the LAT Network for my professional development and making more contacts.
  10. Zotero: we're still having a bit of a tiff, but I'll get around to sorting that problem any day now.
  11. Google Docs: Very useful for sharing raw thoughts with others - not so much for the formatted finished products though.
  12. Wikis: Already useful for #camlibtm but I'm sure they will prove useful for other projects in future too.
Things I am less likely to continue to use
  1. iGoogle: I prefer to track RSS feeds using Google Reader and am happy to use tabs to open other pages I need.
  2. Slideshare: I would put a presentation up there for the benefit of others, but it doesn't suit my style for catching up on events I haven't been able to attend. Please keep blogging, everyone!
  3. LibraryThing: Sorry Tim! Although maybe this will be useful for specific promotional purposes, we'll see.

And so I'm done - luckily we have the TeachMeet to look forward to in September, catering to all who are suffering withdrawal symptoms!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on completing Niamh. I'd agree with you wholeheartedly about the community aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andy, and thanks again to the team for organising the programme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a long way behind on my reading, but just thought I'd leave a late comment to say have you seen Vanessa Lacey's final post? But then I checked back there, and you have - you've commented on it. So you know all about her idea of making podcasts of extracts from UL Tower books, a lovely 'real-life' application.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for commenting anyway, makes me feel good :D Yes, I think it's a great idea - I'm loving the Tower blog so far too.

    ReplyDelete