Wednesday, 14 July 2010

Youtube and music libraries

I've been thinking a lot about my first library job recently.  I worked at the Contemporary Music Centre for four years, first as a library assistant and then as Music Information Officer, and have followed their news feeds ever since.  I was very sorry to hear that their Director, Eve O'Kelly is stepping down, but I am sure know she will be very successful in her 'freelance career in cultural management and research'.  Evonne Ferguson has been appointed Director and I would like to wish her all the best in this position.

What does all of this have to do with YouTube, I hear you ask?  Well, one of the most interesting things about CMC, for me, is how forward-thinking they are and how well they use social media to promote themselves and the music of Irish composers.  They have an active presence on Twitter, YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook, MySpace and flickr, and provide RSS feeds of news, features and opportunities.  They were one of the first arts organisations in Ireland to create monthly podcasts [feel free to correct me if I'm getting any of this wrong, Jonathan!]  I strongly recommend checking them out if you're looking for good ideas.

Here is their latest feature, based on their recent conference The Future of Music in the Digital World.

2 comments:

  1. Yes - it would be interesting to see if any of their ideas would work in an academic context. Something to think about!

    ReplyDelete