Monday, 14 June 2010

Using Twitter - without using Twitter interface!

Miss Crail has put up a fabulous post giving her reasons for hating Twitter, and even a month ago I would have agreed with her.  Although it's uncluttered to look at, Twitter's interface makes it near impossible to follow discussions.  Besides, there's a problem (for me) with its entire foundation - the question "What's happening?"  (Hmmm, wasn't it "what are you doing?" They must have changed it to make it vaguely useful-sounding.) I'm going to cheat a bit here and just edit what I wrote in a comment on Miss Crail's blog.

That's exactly how I felt about Twitter first time round, and how I still felt until I started using JournoTwit. Now my feeds are displayed in nice, sensible columns with the hashtags I'm following separated nicely, with a column just for where I'm mentioned, and with a pretty feed cloud that I don't actually use much. I unfollow anyone who tells me too much about their mealtimes and transport arrangements, and use it mostly for following CPD-related topics. I have been converted.



I hate Twitter as it's set out on its own site - but with a decent reader it's actually very useful!

Re: Tom's comment - JournoTwit even has a handy "in reply to..." link that you can click on to see what a message was in response to.  Doesn't work all the time, but it usually does - see screenshot above.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Niamh,

    Thanks for this. Going to take a look at JournoTwit at some point this week now. The Twitter interface(for the want of a better phrase) is "doing my head in" all of a sudden over the past few days.

    Will let you know how I get on! Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenni,
    Hope you like it! I've also heard good things about Hootsuite and Tweetdeck, but I've never tried them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting, thanks all, I've learned something new here.

    ReplyDelete