Friday, 11 June 2010

Google Calendar...and a serious question...

Google Calendar is another one that I use all the time in a personal capacity.  The option of sharing calendars is handy - I have a calendar that's shared with my extended family so I have no excuses for not knowing whose big birthday celebration is coming up and when, and back when I was a Guide leader in Ireland I shared a calendar with other leaders so we all knew what was coming up locally, in Dublin and nationally within CGI.  I never thought of it as a tool that can be embedded within a website, but I see how that could be very useful.

A question that arises from all this use of Google products in a work environment: how comfortable are we with sharing organisational information with a global company?  If it becomes the norm to use email, documents sharing, calendars and other tools from a particular company, should there be limits on what types of documents are shared there?  Maybe it's not an issue in the university sector - what do other people think?

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    the issue of 3rd parties holding our information was raised at the last Arcadia lecture http://arcadiaproject.lib.cam.ac.uk/events/index.php#news197
    who owns the data if an institution goes wholesale onto googledocs, or gmail? (indeed where is the data stored? could a different country's legislation be involved?) Given what google just did with buzz, is there any garuntee of confidentiality?
    big questions, to which I don't have an answer - but food for thought on a Friday, dontcha think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly is! Big Brother is watching, etc... Or maybe I'm being paranoid. :/

    ReplyDelete